Monday, January 30, 2012

Bear-y Special Baby Shower Craft

I was helping with a baby shower for my cousin, and when the bear theme was chosen, I knew right away that I wanted to make these sweet little drawer sachets as part of the favor bags. My sister had received one of these as a favor many moons ago, like in the 1900's! I know. A long time ago. So naturally, I  had to punch it up for the millennium. The colors for the shower were pale green & yellow to keep things gender neutral, so I set off to find the perfect fabric thinking this must be a popular color combination. I found one that was passable at Hobby Lobby, but it the print was too large. Then I looked, and looked, and looked at Jo-Ann's to no avail. That is when I finally yelled uncle and revised to just go with the pale green and accent it with yellow accessories. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! D'oh!

They were pretty easy to make, cut out a square of fabric, add a golf ball & and half's worth of stuffing, and gather with needle and thread. Plus a few drops of your fav essential oils to give it that sachet-y scent. Then came the pom poms each one needed 9 at varying sizes for the paws, head, and of course tail.



one false move, and the bear gets it

When I got to the eyes & nose, I was in a jam trying to find the right beads which would stay stuck, and after consulting with a local bead expert, we came to the conclusion that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. So thankfully since I am obsessed with crafts of all kinds and find them difficult to give up, I had some (read: a bunch) polymer clay that I rolled into the face parts, and since I didn't actually have the color black, I intended to paint them or sharpie them. My rusty poly clay skills actually helped me here, since when I went to bake the clay, I burned it, and they turned the perfect black on their own. Gotta love it when that happens!! Crafty coincidences. woo hoo.

Here's the final product... :-)

2 comments:

  1. Bear-y, bear-y cute!!!!!!!! Where is mine??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know where mine is as well. You can give me the one in the picture. That looks like the momma bear :)

    ReplyDelete