Thursday, September 30, 2010

Edwina Scissorhands

So did you know that Sept was national sewing month? I had no idea, but if Fiskars says it is so, who am I to disagree? I was in NY over Labor Day visiting my sister & her family, and we stole away for a quick visit to Mood, the same one from Project Runway, like I had to tell you! I'm mad about that show, so actually going to the store was a real kick! And, while I was there, I actually saw a fellow Houstonian(!) & past winner(!!), Chloe Dao shopping there!!! But much to my chagrin, I was too shy to say hi. I digress, anyway, the expedition was to buy fabrics for my nieces' halloween costumes -- super heroines. We were aiming for shiny silver fabrics and after an exhaustive search, bought some silver lame, b/c we didn't want to leave empty handed. It had the shine factor, but the weight wasn't quite what we envisioned. Then, as fate would have it, there was a shop across the street specializing in what can best be described as swimwear fabric with crazy shine all over the place, and the vision was back on track. We had made the capes out of a shiny polyester and the silver was for a cute skirt and accessories to go w/ the leotards. Flash forward back to their apt and I met the coolest oldest electric sewing machine that still works!! It only sews a straight stitch, and we estimated it must have been made in the 1950's or earlier. It runs like a dream, and weighs about a metric ton naturally, so there was no way I could smuggle it out in my suitcase back home. ;)



2 comments:

  1. Soooo cute!!! Love that little skirt, too!!!!! And, um, you HAVE to figure out a way to bring that sewing machine back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Machine is required for sewing. Me
    Like sewing clothes........

    ReplyDelete